Plasticine is an ideal material for children to develop their creativity and concentration. Prepare this entertaining recipe with your children!
Making plasticine at home is a cheap and simple alternative for children to play games and activities that will help them develop their abilities to the maximum.
Advantages of working with plasticine
- One of the advantages of playing with plasticine is that it allows you to develop fine motor skills.
- Increases and develops the creativity of children because it gives them the freedom to do any kind of creation with a material that is not toxic.
- Improves concentration. Working with plasticine requires a lot of dedication; that, allows children to concentrate on a single activity.
That’s why, so that there is no shortage in any house, we will teach them how to make homemade plasticine.
When I was a child, I wanted to play with the Polly Pocket houses and Play Doh. I loved using plasticine to design parts of my imaginary city of Polly. I used to make saplings, armchairs, cars and all kinds of cute and silly things. However, my child did not seem interested in play-doh. I bought her a couple of bottles of Play-Doh a few months ago, but I did not understand what to do with her, and then our little dog started to eat plasticine! So we throw it away.
Here is the complete video of play doh for kids
Then, last summer, a friend sent me a homemade Play-Doh recipe and I was excited to try it. So we planned a meeting in my house for the children to play and to make the recipe. It was fun and the children really enjoyed the process more than I imagined.
Making homemade clay with children is a perfect activity for the next cold autumn and winter days. You can make a small mix of a single color in a few minutes or several mixtures of various colors, and extend the fun for hours!
We found the recipe and it ended up super soft and fluffy.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 2 small spoons of cream of tartar
- 1 small spoon of vegetable oil
- 10 drops of food coloring (add more drops for extra vibrant colors)
NOTE: We tried to duplicate all the ingredients to make a larger amount of mixture, but the result was not ideal. The play doh was too soft. Then we went back to making the mixture with the exact measurements of the recipe by color and it worked perfectly.
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Add all the ingredients in a container and stir until they are mixed together.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a large ball forms. This will be a good arm exercise! Just remember not to stop moving until you see the ball formed.
- As soon as the ingredients are joined, remove the ball from the heat and place it on a plate or on waxed paper.
- Wait for it to cool for a few minutes, then knead a couple of times until the plasticine becomes super soft and smooth.
- Store plasticine in plastic containers and go! You can also recycle baby food containers.
You already have an activity to share with the children this autumn – winter, and to survive the afternoons locked up at home. You can make many colors and give as reminders of baby shower or children’s birthday!